It happens all the time—you’re in the middle of working on something important on your computer, and suddenly you start having problems. But how do you know what exactly is causing the symptoms you’re experiencing?
Here’s an overview of some of the most common computer problems we have people ask us about at our computer shop in St. Charles County, MO and how you can resolve them:
- Computer running too slow: A computer that operates extremely slowly can be excruciatingly annoying to deal with. The issues here could be hardware or software related. You might have some malware on your computer, which would necessitate a virus scan. You could also have a large buildup of temporary files or other issues that can be solved with a registry cleaner, or too many programs running in the background. Hardware problems could include a failing hard drive, a lack of RAM or an old CPU.
- Computer keeps restarting: People often report issues with their computer restarting by itself while they’re in the middle of working on something. It might be something as simple as a timed, automatic update to your operating system, but normally that will give you some warning. Malware could also be the issue, so be sure to frequently run virus scans. If hardware is the issue, you might have problems with your graphics card, motherboard or network card drivers.
- Peripherals not working properly: Have you ever experienced your keyboard, mouse or other peripheral items “freezing” or simply not working properly? If it’s a hardware issue, the problem could be in your computer ports or in the components of those peripherals. Try plugging in other devices to see if those work. If it’s a software issue, you might not have the proper drivers installed, or the drivers you do have are corrupted in some way.
- The internet is running too slowly: Most of the time you can resolve internet problems by resetting your router or modem. Unplug the device, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. Otherwise, you could be experiencing hard disk failure, or you could have an app running in the background of your computer that is sucking up all the bandwidth, making the internet run more slowly.
- App commands aren’t working: If you have certain app commands that are not working, it’s pretty easy to determine if it’s a software or hardware issue. If it’s only one application that’s affected, then it’s a problem with that individual piece of software. If more than one app is affected, it could very well be a hardware issue. Your system might not meet the requirements to run certain pieces of software, in which case you might need to upgrade certain components or the entire computer.
These are just a few of the many most commonly experienced problems people have with their computers. For more information about these issues and how to resolve them, contact our computer shop in St. Charles County, MO. We look forward to assisting you!
Categorised in: Uncategorized