Computers and the World Wide Web make our lives easier each and every day. We rely so heavily on our technology that it’s safe to say that most of us would be utterly lost if we didn’t have it. Unfortunately, with the good also comes the bad. Hackers, spammers and other ne’er-do-wells out there can easily steal our personal information if we’re not careful when we’re using our computers. As your trusted computer shop in St. Charles County, MO, we’re here to help ensure that doesn’t happen! Keep reading to learn what you need to know to stay safe while you’re online:
- Install anti-virus software: Your first line of defense against hackers is your anti-virus software. This software will alert you when there are threats such as malware, spyware and Trojan horses detected that could steal your information or slow down your performance.
- Update your OS and software: It’s crucial that you update your operating system and software whenever new versions roll out. Updates include bug fixes and reduce the chances of threats entering your computer. Your computer should notify you when updates are available, but if not, it’s not a bad idea to do a quick check every once in a while to make sure everything is updated.
- Install and check your firewall: Most computers (especially Windows machines) come with pre-installed firewalls that try to block unauthorized internet programs from accessing your system. You should check to make sure your computer has a firewall enabled. If not, we recommend installing one before you start browsing the internet again!
- Back up all of your data: Are all of your files backed up on an external hard drive or with an online cloud service like Dropbox? Let’s hope so! If your files aren’t backed up, you could lose everything in a sudden power outage or cyberattack.
- Protect your email: Viruses most often enter computers through emails that may look innocuous at first glance, but it’s not until you click the links in those emails that you realize you’ve accidentally allowed a virus in. Set up spam folders that automatically filter emails that could potentially have viruses attached, and never open those spam emails.
- Use trusted browsers: Firefox and Chrome are among the best internet browsers out there, not just because they’re fast, but also because they have built-in security features that work to protect you from viruses and malware. Always use these browsers and check your privacy settings to ensure you’re as safe as possible.
- Manage your passwords: We shouldn’t have to tell you to use strong passwords when creating accounts online. Always use a combination of lowercase letters, uppercase letters and maybe even a few numbers and punctuation marks to be as safe as can be.
Even the most cautious computer users can end up with viruses and other problems. If that’s the case, bring your machine to our computer shop in St. Charles County, MO. Everyone on our staff has all the right skills and knowhow to fix pretty much any computer problem you can imagine.
Categorised in: Computer Shop